When unlock 5 was announced on Wednesday the ministry of home affairs said that cinemas, theatres, multiplexes would be permitted to open up with 50 percent of their seating capacity from October 15.
Many films are piled up for the release since lockdown. The last film which was release before lockdown was “Angrezi Medium” and since then no other films came in theaters.
Due to lockdown many OTT platforms have made their way to the top and many Bollywood films have been released on OTT platforms for e.g. Sushant Singh starrer “Dil Bechara” and multi-starrer movie “Sadak-2” etc.
In all this there was Akshay Kumar starrer “Sooryavanshi” which was supposed to be released in this Diwali, but now the producers are saying that the film will not be launched this Diwali.
CEO of Reliance Entertainment, Shibasish Sarkar, who is one of the producers of the Akshay Kumar starrer, told Mid-day, “It’s not practical to release Sooryavanshi on Diwali because we don’t know whether cinemas in major states are opening yet. “
“The state governments of Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh have announced that their cinema halls will remain shut this month. So, it will be fair to assume that most states will open up only by December 1.”
“Some film will definitely release in December. We shall watch the proceedings. We will know how many people came to see it. And who knows where Corona stands in India in December or November? What if cases are still high?”
“We have been as excited as you are to present the film to you and your family, but due to the recent outburst of the COVID-19, we, the makers, have decided to postpone the release of your film Sooryavanshi, keeping in mind the health and safety of our beloved audience… And therefore, Sooryavanshi will be back for you just when the time is right… After all, safety comes first… Until then, keep the excitement alive, take good care of yourself and stay strong… We shall pull through this…” one of the producers, Rohit Shetty Picturez, had shared in early March this year.