New Delhi: The Indian Ministry of Railways has withdrawn the tender for making 44 semi high speed Vande Bharat train sets. It said a fresh tender will be floated within a week per Revised Public Procurement by giving preference to make in India.
“Tender for manufacturing of 44 semi high speed train sets (Vande Bharat) has been cancelled. Fresh tender will be floated within a week as per Revised Public Procurement (Preference to Make in India) order”. The Ministry of Railways said in their tweet.
It was in the last month when the tender was called a Chinese joint venture firm — CRRC Pioneer Electric (India) Private Limited — had emerged as the sole foreign bidder among the six contenders to provide electrical equipment and other items for the 44 train sets of 16 coaches each.
This joint venture was formed between the China-based CRRC Yongji Electric Company Limited and the Gurugram-based Pioneer Fil-med Private Limited in 2015.
Bharat Heavy Electrical Ltd, Bharat Industries, Sangrur, Electrowaves Electronics Pvt Ltd, Medha Servo Drives Pvt Ltd, and Powernetics Equipment India Pvt Ltd, were included among the total six bidders.
After the tense border stand-off along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh, India has been trying to restrict trade with China. But, the the national transporter made no mention the reason for cancelling of the tender.
On February 2019, PM Narendra Modi flagged off the first Vande Bharat train from Delhi to Varanasi. The second train service between Delhi and Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Katra was flagged off by Home Minister Amit Shah on October 3.